Frequently Asked Questions
How do I download the Microsoft Word Add-in?
Installing ClauseBuddy is usually very easy in any recent version of Microsoft Word.
1. Open a Microsoft Word document. Go the insert tab in your toolbar, click on Get add-in.
2. Search for ClauseBuddy and click on Add.
3. You will see an icon for ClauseBuddy in your Home tab.
A detailed installation guide is available.
What is the purpose of clause library software?
Clause library software such as ClauseBuddy, allow you create a clause library – typically from within MS Word – which you can populate and use with just a few clicks.
- Keyword searches
- Folder structure
- Populating the library (manual or AI)
- Clause subscriptions
Learn more about dedicated clause library tools in our guide.
How do I add an extra user?
The administrator within your organisation has the ability to add additional users to the library.
As an administrator, you click on the menu in the top right corner of the ClauseBuddy add-in and navigate to "Users".
Click the green button to add a user and fill out the user details.
Learn more about user administration.
Please note that adding users is only possible in the ClauseBuddy Pro plan. Within the Free package your are limited to a single user.
Is ClauseBuddy also available outside Microsoft Word?
Yes! Are you not using Microsoft Word, but still want to draft more efficiently?
ClauseBuddy is also available in a web version, so you can simply use it within your web browser. You can access it here. (Obviously, you will have to copy/paste from and into Microsoft Word.)
By the way, did you know ClauseBuddy is also available for Microsoft Outlook?
The button to open the ClauseBuddy add-in in Word has disappeared.
This seems to be a bug in Microsoft Word, that also randomly affects users of other Word add-ins.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the add-in will solve this problem. (Don't worry, you won't lose your clauses — they are stored on our servers.)
Is your free subscription a trial?
No! The free version of ClauseBuddy is not a trial version. It is not limited in time, and you will not easily hit the volume limits (such as 1000 clauses and 20 templates). In fact, the Free version is more feature-rich than most competing software packages, in each of the three components (clause library, smart templates and legal guides).
The most important limitation of the free version is that you can only access it as a single user.
Do you support any language?
Many legal technology products claim to be "language agnostic", which is just a fancy way of saying that their product is actually clueless when it comes to languages. Whether you submit something in English, French, Zulu or Klingon — anything will be accepted.
This sounds wonderful, until you realise the many shortcomings of the language agnostic nature. For example:
- you cannot store different language versions of the same clause
- paragraphs pasted in the wrong language may get red / green wavy lines, due to being flagged as incorrectly spelled
- "smart searching" will work poorly — e.g., when you search for "buyer" (singular), language agnostic software will ignore results containing variations such as the plural "buyers"
- interpunction (e.g., which types of quotes to use, or whether to put a space after a semicolon) differs between languages
ClauseBuddy is, instead, multi-lingual and language-aware. While we do not support Zulu or Klingon, we do support 28 other languages.
How do I upgrade my plan?
Do you want to get more out of ClauseBuddy?
You can upgrade to a Pro or Expert package at any time.
Send us an email, we're happy to help you find the package that answers your needs!
Do you offer legal content?
New users will have access to a small library sample clauses (mostly boiler plate clauses for commercial contracts). Note that this is truly sample content, i.e. the reason to include this content is to let you get an idea of what's possible with ClauseBuddy. The clauses are available in English, Dutch, French and German.
Who owns my clauses?
You remain the owner of your clauses. Not us. Any intellectual or moral rights associated with your clauses, will remain with you, and will not be transferred to us.
You decide who will get access to your clauses, and (in the Pro version) whether they can only use these clauses, or also modify them.
In other words, we will not sell your clauses, we will not license them to others, and we will not otherwise make them available to others.
However, to be entirely transparent, we do keep statistics on how all our users use clauses, and we may decide to publish these statistics in the future, on an anonymous basis. Also note that our software chops your clauses into individual words, and feeds those words as virtual "ingredients" to our Artificial Intelligence (AI) engine. Once there are hundreds of thousands of those ingredients available, the AI engine will then mix all those ingredients together and try to learn which words tend to be inserted in clauses of a certain type, so that in the future it can recognise similar clauses.
What is onboarding support?
We provide onboarding support to get you up and running with ClauseBuddy.
We can help you with the setup of your:
- Clause Libraries
- Drafting Guides
- Interactive Clauses
- Template styling
Support is given by legal engineers with ample contract drafting experience, who not only know the product inside-out, but also the legal drafting issues you grapple with on a day-to-day basis.
We only offer project implementation support within the Full Pro Plan.
Can I cancel my plan at any time?
Yes, you can cancel or switch your plan at any time. To downgrade a paid account, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where is my data located?
All data of ClauseBuddy is hosted in Finland, with encrypted backups in a separate data centre in Amsterdam.
In order to minimize GDPR compliance issues, we actively avoid non-EU based suppliers, with the exception of Microsoft for our internal Office 365 data.
How do I subscribe to the "Bonus Clause Library"?
Your first question might be: What is the ‘Bonus Clause Library’?
We have created this library to give users an idea of the possibilities offered by ClauseBuddy. You can find a couple of boiler plate clauses in the library which can be added to any type of contract. The clauses include attributes that exemplify legal nuance that can be added to make it easier to determine which clause fits best for a certain context.
In addition to the plain example clauses, we provide you with some questionnaires. These are interactive clauses which you can adjust to your needs by answering a few simple questions. Once you have tweaked the clause you can simply add it to your document.
So, how do you subscribe to this ‘Bonus Clause Library’?
- Login to your ClauseBuddy account
- Click on the name of the library right at the top of your screen. A drop-down menu will open.
- Select ‘+ Boiler plate sample clauses’ from the drop-down list.
- You are now subscribed to the ‘Bonus Clause Library’.
You can now easily switch between your library and the ‘Bonus Clause Library’ just by clicking on the name right at the top of your screen and select the library you want to search in.
Note that the ‘Bonus Clause Library’ is read-only. This means that you can add the clauses to your document, but you will not be able to create or edit any clauses in the library.
How do ClauseBase and ClauseBuddy differ?
ClauseBase is the most powerful document automation software available on the market. Through a set of easy, dynamically adapted questionnaire, it allows legal professionals to generate bespoke documents in a matter of minutes, instead of hours.
While the powerful engine used within ClauseBase is also used in ClauseBuddy, both products serve an entirely different audience: While ClauseBase is focused on power and control to automate entire documents, ClauseBuddy is focused on simplicity and individual clauses.
Because they share their engine and the underlying database, the two products actually work together seamlessly. For example:
- You can start building a clause library in ClauseBuddy, and then use that very same clause library to build entire documents, by stacking your clauses together.
- You can build sophisticated, dynamically changing clauses in ClauseBase, and make those clauses available to other users in ClauseBuddy.
- You can generate a contract in ClauseBase, and later on (during negotiations) insert new or alternative clauses with ClauseBuddy. No other combination of products allows such seamless, end-to-end coverage of drafting tools.
- In the same manner that you can automate entire documents by displaying an easy questionnaire, you can use ClauseBase to build a questionnaire that allows ClauseBuddy users to easily tweak a dynamic clause. For example, instead of uploading 25 different versions of the same clause in your clause library, you can build one questionnaire that will automatically select the right clause based on a user's answers in ClauseBuddy.
This combination of simplicity and power is what we makes the ClauseBase/ClauseBuddy ecosystem so unique.
For an in-depth comparison, please check the Helpcenter.